2014 - 5/6 April
major weekend of celebrations is being planned for the 5/6 April 2014 to mark the 100th anniversary of the NG Kerk and to revive the Sandsteenfes that used to be so popular and well supported from far and wide in years gone by. A Committee will be set up to drive this process consisting of the major stakeholders and to ensure that we really enjoy a magnificent day.
Our initial thinking is along the following lines – :
- Agricultural show
- NGK and APK Church bazaars
- Horse riding clubs for a Fun outride and Mountain biking /Cycling fun race
- Motor Car clubs and Motor Cycle clubs exhibiting
- Art and craft exhibitions and Flea market
- Live performers – hopefully names that will draw crowds
- Various activities – pellet gun shooting contest, hot dog eating contest, egg throwing partner contest, pootjie contest
- Bowling competition at Bowls club, Children’s tractor-trailer rides, Motor car rally and Street Braai etc.
Sunday morning will have the commemorative church service where all are invited, and where it is intended to have a well-known gospel singer to perform and an invited organist to give a short recital on the pipe organ. After the church service, hopefully lunches will be offered at the eating establishments in the Village. We will also ensure maximum media coverage in print and radio and every effort will be made to try and get TV coverage as well. We now have less than a year to go so we intend to begin right away with invites, arrangements etc. If we do things right, this should be a really major event and I hope that all of you will make an effort to do your part.
If you have any ideas as to what we can add to the list above, or where you would be keen to participate, please let me know. Richard Lewis